Special Message from the Chairs on ASSET 2016
On behalf of the other organisers, we would like to invite you to participate in a very special symposium tailored for Asian students, called the Asian Students’ Symposium for Emerging Technology (ASSET), that will be held in Singapore from June 23-25 2016 as part of MobiSys 2016. The goal of ASSET is to provide you with a forum where you can expand your research horizons, peer network, and professional career. Opportunities to do this are invaluable--and you will be specially privileged to interact with most of the top academic and industry researchers across the field of mobile computing!
We plan to do this through a full 2 ½ day program filled with various events such as:
- There will be a series of talks from world-class researchers on various topics of interest in the mobile & pervasive computing research space. The speakers currently include Professor Suman Banerjee from University of Wisconsin at Madison, current chair of SIGMOBILE and ACM SIGMOBILE Rockstar Award Winner; Professor Lin Zhong from Rice University, former program chair of MobiSys and ACM SIGMOBILE Rockstar Award Winner; and Professor Nigel Davies from Lancaster University, founder and steering committee chair of HotMobile. (Other stalwart researchers have been contacted and we hope to confirm them shortly).
- All attendees will have the opportunity to present their research work, during ASSET, to their peers and invited distinguished faculty. This will allow you to get excellent feedback and suggestions that will improve the quality of your research. In addition, you will be able to increase your peer network both within your country and in other Asian countries. This network will be very useful for your professional development in years to come.
- In addition, all attendees will be given the chance to present their work in the demo and poster session of the main MobiSys conference (to be held from June 27-29th 2016). This will allow you to present your work to the full set of MobiSys attendees -- thus greatly expanding your ability to interact with numerous distinguished faculty and researchers (who will be attending MobiSys).
- All ASSET attendees will get to submit a 1 page writeup (about their demo or poster) that will appear in the ACM Digital Library as part of the MobiSys Supplementary proceedings.
- Finally, there will be a special event on the 3rd day that will take the form of a field trip to a place of interest in Singapore. This could be a startup incubation centre or the local headquarters of an interesting IT company. The goal of this trip is to highlight novel research being carried out in Asia and allow the attendees to both expand their research horizons, and possibly increase their career prospects (by working with the startups or company visited).
To ensure that all ASSET participants benefit fully from the co-location with MobiSys, we are offering special rates that include ASSET as well as all MobiSys-related events. These rates are specially provided just for ASSET attendees. We hope this event will prove beneficial to all attendees and that the friendships and research ideas / suggestions / methods gained from it will be beneficial for many years to come!
Also, we fully anticipate that we will be able to provide additional travel support for a very limited set of participants at ASSET--especially to those outstanding students who simply have no other institutional or governmental support mechanisms
Do contact us at MobiSys2016-GC@acm.org if you have any questions / concerns / or comments. We hope to see all of you in Singapore on June 23rd, as this can be a TRANSFORMATIVE opportunity for you!
For more details (including how to apply for a spot in ASSET), please refer to the symposium webpage located at: http://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2016/symposium/Asset.
Spaces are limited so do submit your research proposals as soon as you can!
Archan Misra and Rajesh Krishna Balan
General Chairs, MobiSys 2016