MobiCom 2021 Travel Grant Application
Grants are available for full-time students attending colleges and universities in and outside the US. Women, undergraduates, and underrepresented minority students are particularly encouraged to apply. Both in-person and virtual attendance will be considered for support.
To apply for a travel grant, the student applicant should send the following material to email@example.com:
1. A CV that includes country of origin and country of residence.
2. SIGMOBILE student member number, if the student has one. A SIGMOBILE student membership costs $20 for one year and can be applied for here.
3. Whether you plan to attend the conference in-person or virtually.
4. An application letter that includes:
- The titles of any accepted MobiCom work (conference or workshop papers, posters, demonstrations, etc.)
- Whether the student is a first-time attendee of MobiCom
- If the student is not a first-time attendee of MobiCom, whether the student has received a MobiCom travel grant in the past
- A brief summary of the student’s research interests and accomplishments to date
- A description of areas reflected in the MobiCom program that would impact the student's research
- A statement about why attending the conference is important to the student
- An estimate of the following costs of attending MobiCom 2021: transportation (e.g., airfare or driving mileage), hotel, and conference registration. It is anticipated that travel grants will partially cover these attendance costs. Transportation and hotel will only be covered for in-person attendees.
A recommendation letter from the advisor of the student applicant is also required. The letter should provide the following:
1. A confirmation that the student is a bona fide Ph.D. candidate or a M.Sc./B.Sc. student in good academic standing at the given institution.
2. The impact of the MobiCom program material on the student's research progress.
3. Other benefits the student would derive from attending the conference.
4. A description of the student applicant's strengths and potential contributions to the mobile computing and networking field.
5. A statement of financial commitment to pay the remainder of the student applicant's travel cost not covered by the grant.
The advisor's letter should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org directly by the advisor.
Selection will be based on student merit qualifications (e.g., paper authorship) and financial need (e.g., travel distance/cost from home campus, availability of grant funds, etc). Special consideration will be given to women, undergraduates, underrepresented minorities, and first-time attendees.
Applications submitted by the Priority application deadline (Dec. 31, 2021) will be given first consideration. Applications will continue to be accepted until the Regular deadline (Jan. 14, 2022) and reviewed depending on available funds.
Priority Application Submission Deadline
|December 31, 2021, 11:59 PM EST (UTC-5:00)|
Regular Application Submission Deadline
Priority Award Notification
|January 7, 2022|
Regular Award Notification
Deadline to Accept/Decline Travel Grant
- The full application package (by the student and the advisor) should be received on or before Dec. 31, 2021 (for the priority deadline) or Jan. 14, 2022 (for the regular deadline).
- By accepting the travel grants students are committing to submit a summary of the experiences and outcomes of attending the conference.
- Student travel grants are meant to partially cover the cost of attending and participating in MobiCom 2021. The only travel expenses that can be reimbursed are accommodation, advance conference registration, and transportation (airfare, driving, etc).
- For NSF Grants: These grants are available only for full-time students attending US colleges and universities (not necessarily US citizens or permanent residents) AND for US citizens or permanent residents studying abroad.
- Recipients of NSF travel awards must use US flag carriers.