Student Travel Grant
MobiSys 2013 is pleased to provide travel student support to broaden the participation in our main conference and co-located events (Workshops, Ph.D. Forum, Poster, Demo sessions, etc.). This support is made possible by the generous support from the US National Science Foundation (NSF) (Pending confirmation) and ACM SIGMOBILE. While NSF support is available only for full time graduate students attending US colleges and universities (not necessarily US citizens or permanent residents), SIGMOBILE support is available for International/US graduate/undergrad students as well as postdocs. Although PhD Forum participants and student authors will be given priority for travel awards, we will also seriously consider applications from presenters of posters, demos, or papers at other MobiSys 2013 workshops. Underrepresented minorities and women students from diverse institutions are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applications for the travel award should be sent electronically as a single PDF attachment to the Mobisys 2013 Travel Award Chair, Tamer Nadeem, at email@example.com by May 3, 2013. The subject line of the email should be: MobiSys 2013 Travel Grant Application. An application should consist of the student's CV, a short personal statement (maximum one page), and a supporting letter from the student's advisor. In addition, the student has to indicate in the email his whether he is eligible NSF support.
The student's short personal statement should include:
- A brief summary of research interests and accomplishments to date
- Type of participation at MobiSys 2013 (e.g., PhD Forum participant, poster/demo presenter, paper presenter, etc.).
- A description of areas reflected in the MobiSys 2013 program that would impact the student's research.
- Importance of attending the conference to the student's research activities.
In addition, the student's advisor should send a letter of recommendation separately to the chair. It should include:
- Confirmation that the student is a Ph.D. candidate in good standing.
- The suitability of MobiSys 2013 program to the student's research area.
- Ways in which attending the conference would benefit the particular student.
- The strengths and potential contributions of the student.
- The financial needs of the student in traveling to MobiSys 2013.
- Indicate how the remainder of your travel cost, not covered by the award, will be covered.
The MobiSys Travel Awards Committee will review applications, and the awards will be announced by May 15, 2013. Please note that MobiSys 2013 conference may not be able to reimburse you for all of your travel expenses due to limited budget. Eligible expenses for reimbursement include advance student registration, hotel, and air travel (using a US air carrier). Expenses that are not eligible for reimbursement include regular and/or on-site registration, meals, and local transportation (taxis, shuttles, parking, etc.). Student travel grants are available in the form of reimbursements that are sent only after the completion of the conference and receipt of all required documentation and receipts. The reimbursement amount will be based on the number of awards and it is expected to be at maximum of $1,500 per student. For any questions, please contact the MobiSys 2013 Travel Award Chair, Tamer Nadeem, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 3, 2013 - Complete Application Deadline
May 15, 2013 - Award Notification
June 25-28, 2013 - MobiSys 2013 Conference