N2Women Dinner Meeting & Travel Support Opportunities
Interact in small groups with top researchers in the community.Our distinguished mentors include:
Dr. Kate Ching-Ju Lin, National Chiao Tung University
Dr. Lilijana Simic, RWTH Aachen University
Dr. Aruna Balasubramanian, Stony Brook University
Dr. Heather Zheng, University of Chicago
Dr. Lili Qiu, UT Austin
Dr. Ying Zhang, Facebook
Dr. Ardalan, UC Irvine
Dr Tam Vu, University of Colorado Boulder
Dr Robert Likamwa, Arizona State University
Dr. Kurtis Heimerl, University of Washington
Dr. Eric Rozner, University of Colorado Boulder
Dr. Yingying Chen
Fighting the leaky pipe: Mentorship pipelines for continued success of women in researchOur distinguished panelist include:
Dr. Aruna Balasubramanian, Assistant Professor, Stony Brook University
Dr. Heather Zheng, Professor, University of Chicago
Dr. Lili Qiu, Professor, UT Austin
Dr Ying Zhang, Software Engineering Manager, Facebook
Date: Tuesday, October 22th 2019
Time: 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Venue: Paradisus Los Cabos, Restaurant Gabi
Organized by: Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, University of Washington, USA
Faculty Mentor: Dr. Mariya Zheleva, University at Albany, USA
Contact: Rajalakshmi Nandakumar - firstname.lastname@example.org
View event flyer
N2Women Travel Grant awards announced. Make sure to check your spam folder too.Travel Grant Overview
The goal of the N2Women travel grants is to broaden participation of female students from universities traditionally underrepresented at MobiCom by enabling these students to participate both in the N2Women dinner as well as in the general MobiCom program. Note that these grants are different from the N2Women Young Researcher Fellowship Award.Travel Grant Application
In order to apply for the N2Women travel grant, students should fill out this form. The form asks an applicant to provide:
- Applicant’s name
- Whether the applicant is a first-time attendee at MobiCom
- Applicant’s email address
- Applicant’s academic department and university
- A link to applicant’s CV (Dropbox link is acceptable)
- A link to a brief statement of purpose prepared by the applicant including:
- A brief summary of the applicant’s research and accomplishments to date
- A brief description of how attending the N2Women event would impact the applicant’s research and academic development
- A brief description of how attending MobiCom’19 would impact the applicant’s research and academic development
- The title of a paper/poster/demo (if any) accepted at MobiCom’19
- An estimation of cost to attend the conference, including airfare, hotel and conference registration. It is anticipated that travel grants will cover these costs only partially
- A link to a support letter prepared by the applicant’s research advisor including:
- A statement confirming that the student is enrolled in a full-time PhD/M.S./B.S. program and is in good academic standing
- A statement describing whether MobiCom is typically attended by other students from this institution
- A statement about the impact of the MobiCom’19 program on the student’s research
- A statement of the student’s strengths and potential to contribute to N2Women and MobiCom
- A statement of financial commitment to pay the remainder of the student’s travel cost not covered by the grant
Grant recipients will be selected based on several criteria including potential to contribute to broadening participation at N2Women and MobiCom, potential to benefit from attending the conference, financial need and paper/poster/demo authorship. Priority will be given to women and other underrepresented communities as well as first-time attendees.Important Dates
|Application submission deadline||July 8, 2019|
|Award notification deadline||July 12, 2019|
|Deadline to Accept Award||July 18, 2019|
The following requirements and restrictions apply to all N2Women travel grant recipients
- The full application package (by the student and the advisor) should be received on or before 23:59 EST, July 8, 2019.
- By accepting the travel grants students are committing to fill out a survey evaluating the experiences and outcomes of attending the conference.
- Student travel grants are meant to partially cover the cost of attending and participating in MobiCom 2019. The only travel expenses that can be reimbursed are accommodation, advance conference registration, and airfare.
- For NSF Grants: These grants are available only for full-time students attending US colleges and universities (not necessarily US citizens or permanent residents) AND for US citizens or permanent residents studying abroad.
- Recipients of NSF travel awards must use US flag carriers.
For any questions regarding the N2Women event and the travel grant application, please contact the N2Women event chair, Mariya Zheleva, at email@example.com.Sponsorship
Funding for the N2Women travel grants has been graciously provided by the National Science Foundation and ACM SIGMOBILE.
N2Women is pleased to announce the continuation of our N2Women Young Researcher Fellowship awards. N2Women considers you a young researcher if you are currently a student, working as a post-doc, or in the 1st or 2nd year of your new research career. These awards will partially cover a young researcher’s travel cost (up to $1000) to a meeting where an N2Women event will be held.
In exchange, the young researcher must help organize the N2Women meeting and attend the event. The MobiCom'19 N2Women event will be a dinner, which will be held in the evening of October 22. The benefit of doing the organization, in addition to the travel funds, is for the young researcher to connect with the organizers of the conference who are, typically, leaders in the research field. We will arrange for a faculty or research member of N2Women to assist/mentor the young researcher in this task.
Support for these N2Women Young Researcher Fellowship awards has been generously provided by ACM SIGMOBILE.
To apply for this fellowship or for more information, please see: http://n2women.comsoc.org/ and click the Fellowships link.
The deadline for applications for ACM MobiCom 2019 is July 20.
SponsorshipACM MobiCom 2019 is proud to have Facebook as its N2Women Event sponsor.
N2 Women is supported by ACM SIGMOBILE, ACM SIGCOMM, IEEE Communications Society, IEEE Computer Society (CS) Technical Committee on Computer Communications (TCCC), NSF Division of Computer and Network Systems, CRA-W, Microsoft Research, HP Labs, and Google Research.
For more information about N2 Women, visit: http://n2women.comsoc.org/