Newsletter of August 2018
Upcoming SIG Events
- ACM UbiComp 2018 will be held in Singapore from October 8 to October 12.
- ACM MobiCom 2018 will be held in New Delhi, India, from October 29 to November 2. 42 papers are accepted out of 187 submissions. Here is the list of accepted papers.
- ACM SenSys 2018 will be held in November in Shenzhen, China from November 4 to November 7. 23 papers were conditionally accepted out of 147 submissions and are currently under shepherding.
ACM MobiCom has switched to the multi-deadline model, offering two deadlines per year and adding a one-shot revision process. The summer deadline for paper registration/submission is August 3/7, and the winter deadline for paper registration/submission is February 25/28. Please consider submitting your work! Check out the conference submission site for more detail.
ACM MobiSys’18 has been a great success at Munich Germany. It featured two keynotes, a PAWR panel, a demo/poster session, and technical paper sessions. Check out photos on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MobiSys/
The following papers were recognized by the paper awards. Kudos to all the authors!
- Best Paper Award: AIM: Acoustic Imaging on a Mobile. Wenguang Mao, Mei Wang, and Lili Qiu (UT Austin).
- Best Paper Runner-Up: Augmented Vehicular Reality. Hang Qiu, Fawad Ahmad (University of Southern California); Fan Bai (GM Resarch); Marco Gruteser (Rutgers University); Ramesh Govindan (University of Southern California).
- Best Paper Runner-Up: RuntimeDroid: Restarting-Free Runtime Change Handling for Android Apps. Umar Farooq, Zhijia Zhao (UC Riverside).
SIGMOBILE organized the first ACM Internet of Things Day held with the MobiSys conference this year. In addition to a keynote by Vint Cerf (Google), the program included a panel, invited talks from local industry such as BMW or IBM, from other parts of Europe (Ericsson) and from the US (Intel). Speakers also presented short vision talks from an open call. The lively event was attended by about 200 participants. More details are available here: https://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2018/iot_day_program/
As Prof. Cecilia Mascolo is stepping down at the end of her two-year term as the chair of the committee of SIGMOBILE research highlights, the SIGMobile steering committee has appointed Prof. Heather Zheng as the new chair. We would like to sincerely thank Cecilia for her prior leadership of this committee, which establishes the highlight process for our community as one that makes us proud and brings the community recognition. Thanks Cecilia and welcome Heather!
The following two papers were selected in the latest round of research highlights:
- Automating Visual Privacy Protection Using a Smart LED. ACM MobiCom 2017.
- Ultra-Low Power Gaze Tracking for Virtual Reality. ACM SenSys 2017.
- Pointers: Our social media (managed by Dr. Tadashi Okoshi) can be accessed here: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter. We are redesigning our website (managed by Kasthuri Jayarajah) and you can preview our work-in-progress here. If you have experience with web design in Craft and are interested in helping out, please email me.