SIGMOBILE Broadening Participation Committee is Formed
SIGMOBILE has initiated a program to broaden participation that involves several key activities: workshops designed for underrepresented groups, informal lunch meetings and mentoring, and student travel grants.
To ensure coordination and stewardship of resources, SIGMOBILE has created a broadening participation committee. With the start of the next fiscal year, the role of the committee is to:
- Advise organizers and SIG officers on best practices regarding broadening participation
- Prioritize broadening participation-related funding requests within a given budget
- Develop measurable objectives for our broadening participation program and track its progress
- Help publicize SIGMOBILE’s activities (through website, email, Twitter, for example)
- Coordinate among the different activities and groups that SIGMOBILE sponsors
The initial committee members are Prof. Ana Aguiar (Univ. of Porto), Prof. Rajesh Balan (SMU), Prof. Katia Jaffres-Runser (IRIT), Prof. Robin Kravets (UIUC), and Dr. Thyaga Nandagopal (NSF).